The Kern County AES (“Admission, Evaluation, and Stabilization”) Center is a jail-based competency evaluation and restoration program established through a collaboration between the Kern County Sheriff’s Office, California Department of State Hospitals (DSH), and Wellpath Recovery Solutions. Wellpath was awarded the contract through a competitive procurement process in 2018.
The Kern County AES Center embraces recovery-oriented, trauma-informed care for all patients. The recovery model promotes patient choice and tailors treatment to meet individual needs based on the assessments of a multi-disciplinary treatment team.
Competency evaluation and restoration services for individuals found incompetent to proceed to trial, including assessment and evaluations, individualized treatment planning, individual and group treatment, psychiatric services, psychological services, medication and medication monitoring, peer support, discharge planning, and medical and dental care.
- Implemented first AES Center in the State of California
- Program design includes use of peer support and competency intervention specialists
- Interviewed, hired, and oriented 50+ new staff within 60 days
- Pilot site for DSH’s BHAM system for state of California
- Implementing ERMA, our electronic medical record to manage patients care in the treatment program