TCFTC was established in response to a statewide shortage for forensic beds for individuals found incompetent to proceed to trial and not guilty by reason of insanity. Wellpath Recovery Solutions was awarded a contract through a competitive solicitation process and established TCFTC in partnership with the Florida Department of Children and Families in 2007.
TCFTC embraces recovery-oriented, trauma-informed care for all patients. The recovery model promotes patient choice and tailors treatment to meet individual needs based on the assessments of a multidisciplinary treatment team. Support of family, friends, or other individuals selected by the patient are encouraged to participate.
TCFTC provides evidence-based, trauma-informed behavioral health services to individuals found incompetent to proceed to trial and not guilty by reason of insanity. Services include individualized assessment, multidisciplinary treatment planning, psychiatric services, competency restoration, integrated treatment for co-occurring psychiatric and substance disorders, court reports, court testimony, psychosocial rehabilitation, discharge planning, medical care, pharmacy, food/nutrition, facility maintenance, transportation, and safety/security.
TCFTC has developed processes for ensuring respect for patient rights, prevention of abuse, neglect and exploitation, the virtual elimination of seclusion and restraint, and effective linkages to the community, legal system, state psychiatric facilities, and other agencies.
- Surpassed all performance requirements identified by the Florida Department of Children and Families since assuming operations
- Renovated, retrofitted, and rehabilitated the facility; recruited and trained 240 new staff; and outfitted the entire operation within 40 days of contract signing
- Little to no use of restraint and seclusion
- Forensic waiting list reduced to zero within six months of opening
- Achieved Joint Commission accreditation within 10 months of opening