Wellpath Recovery Solutions was awarded a contract through a competitive solicitation process to transform Bridgewater State Hospital (BSH) from a custody-oriented to a treatment-oriented model in partnership with the Massachusetts Department of Correction. Wellpath assumed operations in March 2017.
BSH embraces recovery-oriented, trauma-informed care for all persons served. The recovery model promotes persons served choice and tailors treatment to meet individual needs based on the assessments of a multi-disciplinary treatment team. Support of family, friends, or other individuals selected by the persons served are encouraged to participate.
BSH provides evidence-based, trauma-informed behavioral health services to individuals housed at BSH for pre-trial evaluations of competency to stand trial, those deemed incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of insanity, “aid in sentencing” evaluations, and for those requiring inpatient psychiatric hospitalization who meet the criteria for strict security. Services include individualized assessment, multidisciplinary treatment planning, psychiatric services, competency restoration, integrated treatment for co-occurring psychiatric and substance disorders, court reports, court testimony, competency evaluations, psychosocial rehabilitation, discharge planning, medical care, pharmacy, food/nutrition, facility maintenance, transportation, and safety. BSH has developed processes for ensuring respect for persons served rights, prevention of abuse, neglect and exploitation, the virtual elimination of seclusion and restraint, and effective linkages to the community, legal system, state psychiatric facilities, and other agencies.
- Interviewed, hired, and completed comprehensive orientation for 400+ staff within 60 days
- Dramatic reduction in the use of restraint and seclusion by more than 90%
- Closed the Intensive Treatment Unit for highest risk persons served on Day One
- Implemented evidence-based programming, including cognitive behavior therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and illness management and recovery
- Implemented ERMA, our electronic medical record to manage persons served care in the treatment program
- Collaborated with DOC on plan to renovate physical plant to provide a more therapeutic treatment environment