The Alaska Psychiatric Institute (API) is a secure psychiatric hospital established through a collaboration between the Alaska Department of Health and Human Services and Wellpath Recovery Solutions. Wellpath is currently providing consultative services to assist API in regaining compliance with all regulatory agencies and will assume full operation in September 2019.
API embraces recovery-oriented, trauma-informed care for all patients. The recovery model promotes patient choice and tailors treatment to meet individual needs based on the assessments of a multi-disciplinary treatment team.
Wellpath Recovery Solutions is currently providing consultative services to assist API upon assuming full operations for individuals under involuntary commitments and found incompetent to proceed, including assessment, treatment planning, psychiatric services, competency restoration, court reports, court testimony, psychosocial rehabilitation, discharge planning, medical care, and pharmacy. Additionally, Wellpath Recovery Solutions will provide food/nutrition, facility maintenance, transportation, and security.
- Assisted API with response to multiple Plans of Correction to CMS, TJC, and other licensing bodies
- Conducted trauma-informed care and restraint and seclusion training for all staff, including MANDT de-escalation training for API direct care staff
- Met with community stakeholders to develop and improve continuity of care
- Established new safety huddle process to ensure follow up on daily events
- Developed staffing plan to increase bed capacity to 80 beds
- Implemented weekly meetings with Wellpath Recovery Solutions & API leadership