The Alaska Psychiatric Institute (API) is a secure psychiatric hospital established through a collaboration between the Alaska Department of Health and Human Services and Wellpath Recovery Solutions. Wellpath is currently providing consultative services to assist API in regaining compliance with all regulatory agencies through December 2019.
API embraces recovery-oriented, trauma-informed care for all patients. The recovery model promotes patient choice and tailors treatment to meet individual needs based on the assessments of a multi-disciplinary treatment team.
Wellpath Recovery Solutions is currently providing consultative services to assist API for individuals under involuntary commitments and found incompetent to proceed, including assessment, treatment planning, psychiatric services, competency restoration, court reports, court testimony, psychosocial rehabilitation, discharge planning, medical care, and pharmacy. Additionally, the hospital provides support services to include food/nutrition, facility maintenance, transportation, and security.
- Assisted API with response to multiple Plans of Correction to CMS, TJC, and other licensing bodies
- Conducted trauma-informed care and restraint and seclusion training for all staff, including MANDT de-escalation training for API direct care staff
- Met with various community stakeholders and Governing Body members to develop and improve continuity of care
- Established new safety huddle process to ensure follow up on daily events
- Hired onsite Alaska-based consultant team to ensure appropriate expertise and stability
- Implemented weekly meetings with Wellpath Recovery Solutions & API leadership
- Support restorative care treatment program by providing psychology services to sustain operations of forensic unit
- Finalizing implementation of electronic policy management and credentialing systems